What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics complete literacy programme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling. The programme is designed for children aged 4-7. However, at CPS we begin the programme in Nursery and will continue teaching RWI to children beyond the age of 7, as we use a stage not age approach. RWI was developed by Ruth Miskin and more information on this can be found at https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents-copy-2/
How will RWI be taught?
All children are assessed regularly by our RWI lead teacher. From these assessments children are grouped into stages, where they work with peers on the same stage.
Nursery & Reception
When appropriate, children will be introduced to the initial sounds in short five minutes sessions.
In Reception all children will learn how to ‘read’ the sounds in words and how those sounds can be written down.
· Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see below
· Learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
· Read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
· Work well with partners
· Develop comprehension skills in stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove It' discussion questions
· Learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
· Learn to write words by using Fred Talk
· Learn to build sentences by practicing sentences out loud before they write
· They work in pairs so that they:
· Answer every question
· Practice every activity with their partner
· Take turns in talking and reading to each other
· Develop ambitious vocabulary
Progressing through the stages
Children follow the same format as Early Years but will work on complex sounds and read books appropriate to their reading level. Daily sessions of RWI phonics last for at least 45 minutes. Once children become fluent speedy readers they will move on to the RWI Spelling programme.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
Purpose – know the purpose of every activity and share it with the children, so they know the one thing they should be thinking about
Participation – ensure every child participates throughout the lesson. Partnership work is fundamental to learning
Praise – ensure children are praised for effort and learning, not ability
Pace – teach at an effective pace and devote every moment to teaching and learning
Passion – be passionate about teaching so children can be engaged emotionally.